Thursday, February 14, 2013

One more week....

In one week I will return to Philadelphia to the hospital for more treatment for migraines.  I just have to live with this insufferable, almost constant pain for one more week.

I guess our trip, my husband will be traveling with me, of course, will be starting early.  We'll be driving this time.  I think it's the flight home, and the migraine it triggers, that messes up any good that happens while I'm in the hospital.  So, screw that.  We'll just drive!  It should be an 18 to 20 hour trip by car, and if I get a migraine while driving, I can just take meds to knock myself out and sleep in the backseat.  At least, that's my hope.

This trip is going to be about detoxing me from the abortives and medications I am currently taking and giving me some pain relief with other meds that will abort the migraine and stop the pain.  My doctor isn't an opiate guy, so I won't be on morphine or anything like that, but he has other stuff he uses to stop the pain--and frankly I don't care what they give me as long as it works.

Now, I just have to live through this week, and the car ride to Philadelphia.  It's not that I enjoy riding in a car for 18 hours or more, I just think I have to do something to change the current pattern of go to Philadelphia, get treated with some success, fly home, get a migraine, everything return to normal, or worse!  Taking the flight out of the equation seemed the simplest thing to do.

I don't really have a strategy for making it through this week.  I've been having some decent mornings, and when I say decent I mean merely tolerable, and then by 3:30 p.m. my head is screaming at me to lay down and stop doing whatever it is I thought I could do that morning and early afternoon.  I try to hang on until 8:00 p.m. and then take my night meds.  That's just the time I set for  myself that it's reasonable to go to bed and not wake up too early with a migraine.  It's arbitrary, but it seems to work for me.  I can still sleep, er, do the thing I do that is similar to sleep, until 7:00 or 8:00 a.m.  I guess I'll keep doing that, and hope that somehow, the week passes quickly. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment